Filing a Discrimination Claim - Texas

Employment discrimination is the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of other people at work, because of their membership in a legally protected category such as race, sex, age, or religion.  Each state has passed laws and rules to protect your workplace rights: this page covers Texas employment discrimination.  The purpose of the Texan employment law is to protect workers in Texas from unlawful discrimination in employment. Read below to learn more about Texas employment law and how the law protects you.

Texas law makes it illegal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability

A discrimination claim can be filed either with the state administrative agency, the Texas Workforce Commission — Civil Rights Division (TWC-CRD) or the federal administrative agency, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The two agencies have what is called a “work-sharing agreement,” which means that the agencies cooperate with each other to process claims. Filing a claim with both agencies is unnecessary, as long as you indicate to one of the agencies that you want it to “cross-file” the claim with the other agency. If you are a state employee with an age discrimination or disability discrimination claim, you should be sure to file a timely claim under Texas state law, because the state may have immunity from certain kinds of claims under the ADA or ADEA.

To file a claim with the TWC-CRD, contact its office below. More information about filing a claim with the TWC-CRD can be found at the TWC-CRD website.

Texas Workforce Commission — Civil Rights Division 
(Mail completed form)
101 E. 15th St.
Austin, Texas 78778 
Toll-free within Texas: (800) 628-5115 
Intake Questionnaire

To file a claim with the EEOC, contact your closest local EEOC office. More information about filing a claim with the EEOC can be found at the EEOC Filing a Claim page.

Dallas District Office 
207 S. Houston Street 
3rd Floor 
Dallas, TX 75202-4726 
Phone: (800) 669-4000 
TTY: (512) 974-2445 

El Paso Area Office 
100 N. Stanton Street 
Suite 600 
El Paso, TX 79901 
Phone: (800) 669-4000 
TTY: (800) 669-6820

Houston District Office 
1919 Smith Street, 7th Floor 
Houston, TX 77002 
Phone: (800) 669-4000 
TTY: (800) 669-6820 

San Antonio District Office 
5410 Fredericksburg Road 
Suite 200 
San Antonio, TX 78229-3555 
Phone: (800) 669-4000 
TTY: (800) 669-6820

EEOC has launched an online service that enables individuals who have filed a discrimination charge to check the status of their charge online.  This service provides a portal to upload and receive documents and communicate with the EEOC, allowing for a faster transmitting period.  Those who have filed a charge can access information about their charge at their convenience, and allow entities that have been charged to receive the same information on the status of the charge.  All of the EEOC offices now use the Digital Charge System.  If you file on or after September 2, 2016, the Online Charge Status System is available for use.  The system is not available for charges filed prior to this date or for charges filed with EEOC’s state and local Fair Employment Practices Agencies. The system can be accessed at the EEOC website. If you do not have internet or need language assistance, you may call the toll-free number at 1-800-669-4000. For additional help, you may also call the toll free number to retrieve the same information provided in the Online Charge Status System.

Do not delay in contacting the TWC-CRD or EEOC to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which charges of employment discrimination must be filed. To preserve your claim under state law, you must file with the TWC-CRD (or cross-file with the EEOC) within 180 days of the date you believe you were discriminated against. To preserve your claim under federal law, you must file with the EEOC (or cross-file with the state agency) within 300 days of the date you believe you were discriminated against. However, as you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible. Yet if you are unable to find an attorney who will assist you, it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim with the state and federal administrative agencies.

You may also wish to check with your city or county to see if you live and/or work in a city or county with a local anti-discrimination law, or “ordinance.” Some cities and counties in Texas (including Austin, Fort Worth, and Corpus Christi) have agencies that process claims under local ordinances and may be able to assist you. These agencies are often called the “Human Rights Commission,” “Human Relations Commission,” or the “Civil Rights Commission.” Check your local telephone directory or government website for further information.

When your charge is filed, the EEOC will give you a copy of your charge with your charge number. Within 10 days, the EEOC will also send a notice and a copy of the charge to the employer. At that point, the EEOC may decide to do one of the following:

  • Ask both you and the employer to take part in a mediation program
  • Ask the employer to provide a written answer to your charge and answer questions related to your claim, then your charge will be given to an investigator
  • Dismiss the claim if your charge was not filed in time or if the EEOC does not have jurisdiction

If the EEOC decides to investigate your charge, the EEOC may interview witnesses and gather documents.  Once the investigation is complete, they will let you and the employer know the result. If they decides that discrimination did not occur then they will send you a “Notice of Right to Sue.” This notice gives you permission to file a lawsuit in a court of law. If the EEOC determines that discrimination occurred then they will try to reach a voluntary settlement with the employer. If a settlement cannot reached, your case will be referred to the EEOC’s legal staff (or the Department of Justice in certain cases), who will decide whether or not the agency should file a lawsuit. If the EEOC decides not to file a lawsuit then they will give you a “Notice of Right to Sue.” `                         

How long the investigation takes depends on a lot of different things, including the amount of information that needs to be gathered and analyzed. On average, it takes the EEOC nearly 6 months to investigate a charge. A charge is often able to settle faster through mediation (usually in less than 3 months).

If your case is successfully resolved by an administrative agency, it may not be necessary to hire an attorney or file a lawsuit (to resolve your case, you probably will be required as to sign a release of your legal claims). If your case is not resolved by the TWC-CRD or EEOC and you maywant to continue to pursue the matter, you will need to pursue your claim in court. A federal employment discrimination case cannot be filed in court without first going to the EEOC, as discussed above, and having the EEOC dismiss your case. This process is called “exhaustion” of your administrative remedy. Similarly, before you can proceed with a lawsuit based on your state discrimination claim, you must file with the TWC-CRD. Under both TWC-CRD and EEOC rules, you must allow the agency at least 180 days to investigate the charge before proceeding with your claim in court.

Cases may be brought in either state or federal court. A case filed in state court under federal law may be subject to removal, which means that a defendant employer requests to move the case to federal court because it involves a federal statute, such as Title VII or the ADEA.

Once the EEOC issues the document known as “Dismissal and Notice of Rights” or “Notice of Right to Sue” (Form 161), only then can you file a case based upon your federal claim. A lawsuit based on your state claim must be filed within60 days of the date the TWC issues its own ‘right to sue’ letter (or dismisses your case), or within 2 years from the date your state law charge was filed, whichever is earlier. (Be sure to mark down that date when you receive the notice.) After your case has been pending with the TWC-CRD for 180 days, then you may request a similar “right-to-sue” letter from TWC-CRD to proceed with your state claim. A lawsuit based on your state claim must be filed within 60 days of the date TWC-CRD dismisses your case or 2 years from the date your charge was filed, whichever is earlier. These deadlines are called the “statute of limitations.”

If you have received one of these agency dismissal notices, do not delay consulting with an attorney. If your lawsuit is not filed by the deadline, then you may lose your ability to pursue a discrimination case.

Acordeón Contenido
Tracking image for JustAnswer widget
Tracking image for JustAnswer widget
Ir arriba

Madeline Messa

Madeline Messa es estudiante de tercer año en la Facultad de Derecho de la Universidad de Siracusa. Se licenció en Periodismo en Penn State. Con su investigación jurídica y la redacción de Workplace Fairness, se esfuerza por dotar a las personas de la información que necesitan para ser su mejor defensor.