Filing a Wage and Hour Claim - Wyoming

Wyoming law does not address the question of overtime payments except for state and county employers and employers with public works contracts. Anyone who works on a public works contract is entitled to one and one half times her/his ordinary rate of pay for any hours worked over 40 in a given week. State and county employees are entitled to similar overtime, subject to special rules and regulations.

The current minimum wage in Wyoming is $5.15 per hour and applies to non-exempt employees. Otherwise, Wyoming’s minimum wage is equal to the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

An employer may pay employees under the age of 20 $4.25 per hour for the first 90 consecutive days of their employment. However, it is illegal for employers to replace employees simply in order to pay this lower wage. Tipped employees can be paid a base of $2.13 per hour, as long as their base salary plus tips adds up to the minimum wage.

  • Agricultural workers
  • Employees in domestic service in or about a private home
  • Bona fide executive, administrative, or professional employees
  • Employees of the U.S. government, the state, or any political subdivision of the state
  • Individuals engaged in the activities of an educational, charitable, religious, or nonprofit organization where the employer-employee relationship does not, in fact, exist or where the services rendered to such organization are on a voluntary basis
  • Outside salespersons whose compensation is based solely on commission on sales
  • Employees whose job is to drive an ambulance or other vehicle from time to time as necessity requires but who are on call at any time

Employers may pay tipped employees as little as $2.13 per hour in cash wages, as long as the employees’ tips plus cash wages add up to the minimum wage of $5.15.

Employers may also count against the minimum wage the cost of any tools, equipment, uniforms, or other items required for the job, provided that the employee has possession of the items and the employer provides a written receipt. If an employer gives an employee equipment or uniforms to be returned upon termination and the employee does not return them, that can also be taken out of wages. Again, this requires that the employer make this clear in writing at the time the items were given to the employee.

No cities or counties in Wyoming currently have a minimum wage different from the state and federal requirements.

Like federal law, Wyoming law does not require employers to provide meal or rest breaks to their employees.

If your employer owes you wages, you can file a claim with the Wyoming Department of Workforce Services. The Department has the authority to investigate your claim, hold hearings, and issue a decision that either party can have reviewed within the Department and, eventually, by a court.

Do not delay in contacting the Wyoming Department of Employment to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which charges of wage-and-hour violations must be filed. In order for the Department to act on your behalf, you must file your claim within two years of the date on which your wages were due. However, as you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible, although it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim with the Department.

It is also possible to file a lawsuit to recover unpaid wages from your employer. In addition to awarding you your back wages, the court can also require your employer to pay you 18% annual interest on those wages, and to pay your litigation costs and attorneys’ fees. It is unclear what the statute of limitations is in such a case, so if you are considering a lawsuit, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Wyoming Department of Workforce Services
Labor Standards Office
1510 E. Pershing Blvd.,
West Wing, #150 
Cheyenne, WY 82601 
Phone: (307) 777-7261
Fax: (307) 777-5633

Casper Field Office
851 Werner Court, #151
P.O. Box 2760
Casper, WY 82602
Phone: (307) 235-3679
Fax: (307) 235-3688

Tracking image for JustAnswer widget
Tracking image for JustAnswer widget
Scroll to Top

Madeline Messa

Madeline Messa is a 3L at Syracuse University College of Law. She graduated from Penn State with a degree in journalism. With her legal research and writing for Workplace Fairness, she strives to equip people with the information they need to be their own best advocate.