• Choose Language:
  • print
  • decrease text sizeincrease text size
main content

Your Rights
Filing a Wage and Hour Claim - Illinois

Does Illinois have state overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Under Illinois law, employers must pay employees at a rate of one and one-half the employee's regular hourly wage for working more than 40 hours in one week.

Some employees are exempt from the overtime requirement. Employees engaged in administrative, executive, professional, outside sales or agricultural activities are exempt from the overtime requirement. Additionally, the following employees are exempt from the overtime requirement:

  • Salesmen and mechanics involved in selling or servicing cars, trucks or farm implements at dealerships
  • Government employees
  • Radio or television station employees in certain cities
  • Participants in work place exchange agreements
  • Educational or residential child care institution employees
  • Commissioned employees

Does Illinois have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

The current minimum wage in Illinois is $8.25 per hour. Employees under the age of 18 may be paid 50 cents less per hour, currently $7.75 per hour. Employees who do not receive tips may be paid $7.75 for their first 90 days with their employer.

Generally, em ployers cannot use other costs of employment to decrease the minimum wage required. Employers cannot decrease the minimum wage by the cost to provide and maintain uniforms. Employers, however, can use tips and gratuities to reduce the minimum wage required to $4.95 per hour. For employees under the age of 18, as well as those in the first 90 days with a new employer, the tipped minimum wage is $4.65. Employers can also reduce the minimum wage by the cost of meals and lodging if the employee receives them and the employer customarily provides them.

The following employees are exempt from the minimum wage requirement:

  • Certain agricultural employees
  • Employees of employers with fewer than four employees
  • Domestic service workers
  • Outside salespeople
  • Certain religious employees
  • Work-study students
  • Motor carrier employees
  • Camp counselors

Do any cities or counties in Illinois have a minimum wage that is different from state or federal law?

Both the City of Chicago and Cook County have separate minimum wages higher than Illinois’ minimum of $8.25.

Chicago, Illinois has a minimum wage of $12.00 per hour for non-tipped employees as of July 1, 2018. The minimum wage for employees who receive gratuities is $6.25 per hour. This minimum applies to employees who work two hours in any two-week period in the City of Chicago. Employers can still pay employees under 18 and employees in the first 90 days of employment 50 cents less. Exemptions include some government-funded positions, and businesses with three or fewer employees.

Cook County, Illinois has a minimum wage of $11.00 per hour for non-tipped employees as of July 1, 2018. The minimum wage for employees who receive gratuities is $5.10 per hour. The Cook County minimum wage rate does not apply to employees under 18 or employees in the first 90 days of employment, both of whom must still be paid at least $7.75 under Illinois law. However, day laborers (such as temporary or seasonal workers) must still be paid the Cook County minimum wage rate.

Does Illinois have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

Illinois has a meal break requirement, but no rest break requirements. Employees must be given a 20 minute unpaid meal break if they are working 7.5 hours or longer. The meal break must occur no later than five hours into the shift.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Illinois?

You can file a claim with the wage claims division of the Illinois Department of Labor. This can be done by filling out a Minimum Wage and Overtime Claim Application. (Aplicación en Español.) The filing should include as much information and documentation as possible. Filing a wage claim in Illinois can be completed with or without an attorney.

For information about filing a minimum wage claim with the City of Chicago, see the Minimum Wage Enforcement Process Overview and the form for a complaint affidavit. To learn how to file a claim with Cook County, see File a Complaint for a Violation of the Minimum Wage Ordinance.

What are my time deadlines?

If you have a wage/hour complaint for the state of Illinois, do not delay in contacting the Department of Labor to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which wage claims must be filed. In order for the agency to act on your behalf, you must file the complaint within one years from the date that the claim arose. In order to file a private lawsuit, however, you must file the complaint within in three years.

As you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible. Yet if you are unable to find an attorney who will assist you, it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim.

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Illinois?

In Illinois, an employee can file a private lawsuit to recover unpaid wages, penalties, punitive damages, attorney's fees and costs.

State Labor Agency

Web: https://www.illinois.gov/idol/Pages/contact.aspx

Illinois Department of Labor
160 North La Salle
Suite C-1300
Chicago, IL 60601-3150
Phone: 312-793-2804

Illinois Department of Labor
900 South Spring Street
Springfield, Il. 62704
Phone (Fair Labor Standards): (312) 793-2804
Web: https://www.illinois.gov/idol/Pages/contact.aspx

Government Inquiries Outside the Department of Labor:
See https://www2.illinois.gov/idol/about/Pages/default.aspx
Workers' Compensation:

Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission
(866) 352-3033 (toll-free in Illinois)



  • Find an Employment Lawyer

  • Support Workplace Fairness

Follow us on:


Find an Employment Attorney

The Workplace Fairness Attorney Directory features lawyers from across the United States who primarily represent workers in employment cases. Please note that Workplace Fairness does not operate a lawyer referral service and does not provide legal advice, and that Workplace Fairness is not responsible for any advice that you receive from anyone, attorney or non-attorney, you may contact from this site.