Please select a topic below:
- Am I eligible to receive benefits?
- How do I apply for benefits in Alabama?
- How much will I receive?
- How long will I receive these benefits for?
- After I start receiving benefits, what do I have to do to remain eligible?
- I was turned down for benefits. How do I appeal this decision?
- More information on Alabama's unemployment insurance laws
1. Am I eligible to receive benefits?
You must be unemployed through no fault of your own, and you must have earned sufficient wages in your base period (the first 4 of the last 5 completed calendar quarters before the start date of your claim). Also, you must be able and available for full-time work. If you are laid of, lost your job in a reduction-in-force, or were downsized, you will meet this requirement.
If you quit your job you will not be eligible for unemployment benefits.
2. How do I apply for benefits in Alabama?
You can apply online or over the phone at 1-866-234-5382.
3. How much will I receive?
Your weekly benefit amount will depend on the wages you earned in your base period. Benefits per week range from a minimum of $45 to a maximum of $275.
4. How long will I receive these benefits for?
Generally, you will qualify for a set number of full benefit weeks ranging from 14-20 weeks. The maximum amount allowable for the benefit year is based on the unemployment rate. If you return to work or if you have deductible income for any week, you may draw reduced payments and increase the total possible length of time that you can draw. The total amount that you can draw for the year is the maximum benefit amount shown on your monetary determination.
5. After I start receiving benefits, what do I have to do to remain eligible?
You must continue to file weekly. Also, you must continue to be able and available for full-time work. You must actively seek employment, while keeping a record of your work search activities (a form to help you do so can be found here). You must also register for employment with the Alabama Works. Finally, you must accept suitable work.
6. I was turned down for benefits. How do I appeal this decision?
You must appeal within 15 days of the date the decision was mailed to you, or, if given to you in person, within 7 days from when you received it. Your appeal must be in writing, and may be submitted by fax or by mail. Also, you must keep filing your weekly claims regularly because you will only be paid for weeks you filed if you win your appeal.
7. For more information on Alabama's unemployment insurance laws: