• Choose Language:
  • print
  • decrease text sizeincrease text size

Your Rights Filing a Wage and Hour Claim - Iowa

Advertisement: Workplace Fairness

Does Iowa have state overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Iowa does not have overtime laws that are different from federal law. Additional information on federal overtime law is available at //www.workplacefairness.org/overtime.

Does Iowa have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

The current minimum wage in Iowa is $7.25. Under Iowa law, employers can pay employees a lower training wage for the first 90 days of employment. Additionally, employers can use tips and gratuities to reduce the minimum wage required to $4.35 per hour.

Does Iowa have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

Iowa does not have any meal or rest break requirements.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Iowa?

You can file a claim with the Division of Labor Services. This can be done by filling out a Wage Claim Form. The filing should include as much information and documentation as possible. This process can be completed with or without an attorney.

Additional information on filing a wage claim is available at http://www.iowadivisionoflabor.gov/wage-payment-collection-and-minimum-wage.

What are my time deadlines?

If you have a wage/hour complaint, do not delay in contacting the Division of Labor to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which wage claims must be filed. In order for the agency to act on your behalf, you must file the complaint within one year from the date that the claim arose.

As you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible. Yet if you are unable to find an attorney who will assist you, it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim.

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Iowa?

In Iowa, an employee can file a private lawsuit to recover past compensation plus liquidated damages, attorney's fees and costs.

State Labor Agency

Iowa Division of Labor Wage
1000 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319-0209
Phone: (515) 242-5869
Fax: (515) 281-7995
Email: wage@iwd.iowa.gov